Sunday, November 28, 2010

Why did I hate Christmas?


I saw the Christmas tree inside a mall. I stood in front of it and realized that the holidays season is near approaching. I wondered why time flies so fast. It seemed like yesterday was Christmas and then, I heard Christmas songs again.

I stood in front of that Christmas tree.

" What are you going to cook for tonight mama?", I asked my mother.

" Of course, I won't forget your favorite pasta.", she replied.

Twelve midnight came. We were singing, dancing, eating. Perhaps, Christmas eve's the best time of the year. The only time when Santa would pay a visit and give me and my younger sisters a surprise. The next day, my uncle Dodo, auntie, cousins and family friends came to our house for the traditional Christmas family gathering. Then I dropped by to my god parents, for all we know, to have a gift. Then me and my cousins went to a department store for some sort of shopping and window shopping as well. Before the end of the day, we exchanged our gifts.

Dinner, picture-taking and then the sweet good byes. We spent another wonderful Christmas day. Seemed like an annual routine but something to look forward to.

How time flies so fast?

Year 2001. Months before Christmas. My uncle Dodo had a stroke for the second time. I was thinking that it was just the same as his first attack. But then, I was wrong. He got paralyzed, hooked to a mechanical ventilator and few days later, he died.

Christmas day became different since then. My cousins with their mother transferred to another place. After graduation in college, I went to Manila to take the board exam. Same year, I learned that my parents lived separately. A year after, my sister next to me have her own family.

Another Christmas day came, year after a year. Here comes 2010.

As I stood in front of that exquisite Christmas tree filled with fancy decors, I asked my self, "Why I don't like Christmas? Why I can't feel the excitement the way I used to be?" I answered, "Christmas trees, Christmas lights...they are all the same". They will just remind me of something that I want to experience again. Something that is beyond the bounds of possibility. So before I am going to shed a tear, I walked and went on to where I must go. I planned to hit the gym today and not to reminisce the past at all.

I know I must move on. Thanks to Facebook, I saw the pictures of my loved ones. They had wonderful pictures together. It feels great to see those smiles again. I missed them so much. Everything is not the same as before but everything is still beautiful. I must admit, I'm the only one who's still dwelling in the old lang syne. For the record, I did not hate Christmas, never at once.

Time to sweat! My next story maybe " Why I became a gym brat?" It's a long story :)

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment