Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Whatever happened to " Til death do us part"?


Cathy was so happy walking in the isle wearing her expensive wedding gown. She saw her groom standing, waiting for her in front of the altar. And she can see the happiness in his eyes. She couldn't wait to hold his hands, to kiss him after saying their vows to each other, to be pronounced as a legal husband and wife.

She was so happy. Two years ago. Because today, she is going to the court for their divorce hearing.

What happened to their vows? "Til-death-do-us-part" no more.

The story that I mentioned above is a reality that is happening to our society nowadays. Divorce, annulment, legal separation, etc. In Hollywood, it is not unusual. So it's a big question of mine that why after saying their sweet promises during their wedding day they will just forget it? What could be wrong? My parents got separated before for only a year but perhaps, it is their destiny to be together again. I knew their reason. And let's just say they have irreconcilable differences that later they were able to reconcile. But how about the other couples who have really decided to be part to each other? (Sigh)


Whatever happened to "Til death do us part"?

Career. For me, this is the primary reason why a lot of couples tend to end their marriage. Both are busy and so they give less and lesser time for each other. Especially if they have different goals and priorities. Maybe, that is what they label as irreconcilable differences. Although it depends but I just noticed that most of the Hollywood stars or even our local artists are on their second or third marriage. Personally, I cannot blame those people. Being famous, wealthy and influential can really change the way you are.

Temptation. Who cannot be tempted when a Paris Hilton ( for the guys) or Brad Pitt (for the ladies) will stand in front of you half naked? Well, that is just an exaggeration. Nevertheless, the reason of most of the annulments or divorces is "third party" or infidelity issues. I will not mention a name here but a lot of famous people here and abroad did have this kind of dilemma. I also heard that a lot of OFWs do have an extramarital affairs with their coworkers. They say it is due to home sickness. I don't want to be judgmental and say that they just let their selves to be succumbed to temptation. Because maybe, just maybe, they just fell in love again? Ouch...

Fell-out-of-love-thing. You said to your husband or wife, I will stay through thick and thin, in health and in sickness...blah, blah, blah. And now you just wake up and realized that you no longer love him or her. You saw the wrinkles or maybe the flappy stomach or the gray hair or the attitude that you did not expect to see. Or maybe you saw this lady or gentleman in the restaurant and wished that your partner would be like her or him. Or maybe you just want to be free again and hang out with your friends because your partner did not allow you to do it since you got married. And so many maybe's to justify that you no longer want to be with your husband or wife.

And now after reading those things that most of us would find as real, what do you think are the best ways to save the " Til death do us part"?

For me, having a quality time to each other is the best. Once in a while you go on dating just like before. No expectations and do not make your partner like a possession. It's not a crime to have a career but couples should never forget to talk what they have been through at the end of the day. Do not sleep at night with an unsettled argument. Always say "I love you". Always pray that God will guide each of you. And take time to reminisce the day you promised " Til death do us part."

And now, what's yours?

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you...Small things count. And always say I love you even at unexpected times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ ric: Thanks...and you are right, it should be at an unexpected time. Not a routine but should come from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being away from home, as the OFW's and like me, a trucker, is no excuse for infidelity. I wish I understood that in my past because I have been married four times and cheated in the first three due to my being away so much. The forth marriage was just incompatibility issues. Now, I have found a wonderful woman who is loving, attentive, beautiful and really loves me and I love her. I told her everything and she told me all in our pasts. My heart is tired of cheating and lying and I reassure her, in words and deeds, every moment of every day that my love for her is true. Thanks for your words here. It shows that I'm not the only guy with these feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's me the author (Oliver), I haven't logged in yet. Thank you for your comment and I truly appreciate it. I understand your situation and I am glad to know that you were able to change and find the real happiness of your life.

    ReplyDelete